One tip we received during our honeymoon was to do the Palm Spring’s Aerial Tram. Unfortunately, by the time we found out about it, tickets were sold out and we were SOL. So this time we planned ahead and made sure it was on our trip itinerary. So if you’re visiting Palm Springs, this is definitely a fun adventure to spend a few hours doing and make sure its a successful experience with these tips!
- Buy Tickets Early! Not only will this guarantee you a day/time to visit and experience the tram, but you’ll basically skip the line when it’s your trip time. Tickets range from $26 for adults to $17 for children.
- Plan for 20-30 extra minutes for Arrival. We definitely cut it a little close with our arrival time and ticket time. First, because our GPS took us on a wild adventure to the wrong address, second – there are different level parking lots depending on the time of day and how busy it is, you might be farther away – so get ready to hike up a hill or wait for the bus to come pick you up! Also there is a $6-8 parking fee.
- Consider Planning Your Trip Around A Meal. This would be a way to fully experience everything the mountain station has to offer. From a casual cafe, full bar, or the Pine’s more upscale restaurant, this already memorable trip could be topped off with a delicious meal and endless desert views.
- Dress in Layers. At an elevation of 8,516 ft. it is definitely cooler on top of the mountain than the base – so depending on when you go plan accordingly. When we visited it was in the 70’s at the base and in the 40’s at the top!
- Consider Hiking. If you’re in for more adventure and activity verses a sit-down meal, there are over 50-miles of hiking trails to take advantage of, so dress and pack appropriately for an afternoon of hiking!
Honestly, I totally underestimated what this experience would be like – from being on multiple trams in the Teton Mountains, the mountains surrounding the desert cities although beautiful are smaller in comparison, or at least that is what I thought! The quick 10-minute tram ride, is a stunner and fairly intense with steep inclines running 2.5 miles and climbing 5,873 from the Valley Station to the Mountain Station. It was an incredible ride up and took us out of the desert for the time we experienced the aerial tram!