My house is a constant work in progress. With my ever-so-changing ways, I’m always looking for new ideas to improve and fine tune each room using different color paints and pieces of furniture. For me, there is one room in particular that would require a larger makeover, our living room – mainly because of the layout. Don’t get me wrong, I love our current furniture, our century home built-in’s and calming color pallet. But you can always dream of better things!Sources: Top Left || Top Right || Bottom Left || Bottom Right
When thinking of pulling my dream living room space together in our current house, I would first and foremost need a completely different floor plan. Our living room is long and narrow, with two openings along the one side so it makes for limited layout options, so in order to have my dream living space, here are the 6-qualifiers that would help make my dream living room a reality;
- Flexible Layout: I love to rearrange furniture, so having options to move larger pieces into different spaces is key for me. I would also love the option to be able to have multiple areas within the space, for example a more intimate/formal seating area behind the larger living space.
- Neutral Bases & Pops of Color: When designing a room I like to start with big, neutral pieces; like this amazing sectional I found on Arhaus (see below). These types of pieces are the perfect starting point to build from. From there I like adding in pops of color with accent pillows, rugs or lamps, because these can always be switched out! My go-to colors are navy’s and white’s with hints pink or yellow to really highlight the neutrals.
- Comfy & Cozy: Since my fiance is 6’6″ finding a couch that is wide is important, this also makes for cozy family snuggles including the pup! To finish this feel, extra large and easy to grab blankets or pillows (you can never have too many pillows), in nearby baskets are a must.
- A Statement Piece: Like an awesome chair, a bold ottoman, or a show stopping mirror will help create a secondary focal point in the room. This could also be accomplished by dressing up the fireplace/mantle area with those pops of color or bold accessories.
- Metallics & Texture: Again, this is where the accessories come into play, whether it’s a fuzzy blanket or a fun metallic pillow, lamp, or picture frames, adding these different textures to the room creates depth and movement. And a little bit of glam.
- Family Photos: This is the finishing touch and a must in my book. Adding vintage and current family photos keeps loved ones close, while adding an element of history plus it’s a great conversation starter with guests. Pull this look off with a great symmetrical gallery wall or lined table or mantle filled with gold or silver frames.
My dream space would be traditional and classic, with a little bit of glam mixed in. It would still be practical and livable, it would be inviting and cozy for friends and family to enjoy. It would be big with lots of windows and a killer fireplace. My dream living room space would be a lot of things with killer unique and functional pieces.
Share your dream living room must-have’s in the comments below! Looking for more inspiration? Check out these other luxury living room selections from Arhaus for your dream living room!