I’ve got the perfect recipe for an upcoming work week or a weekend brunch. This breakfast casserole is super easy to make, low prep and super tasty!
What You’ll Need:
– 12 oz. reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
– 1 medium sized onion, chopped
– 2 eggs
– 4 egg whites
– 2 cups fat-free milk (I used almond milk)
– 1.5 teaspoons of ground mustard
– 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
– 8 slices of white bread, cubed
– 2 cups (8oz) of shredded cheddar
1. Cook the sausage and chopped onion in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook until sausage is no longer pink, drain and cool.
2. In large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper together. Stir in the cubed bread, cheese, sausage and onion mixture. Pour into 13 x 9-inch baking dish (coated with baking spray).
3. Cool and refrigerator (okay over night).
4. Remove from fridge for 30-minutes before baking.
5. Bake, uncovered at 350-degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes clean from the center. Let stand for 5-minutes before cutting and enjoying.
If you want to make a veggie option; switch out the meat and add in some of your favorite veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes or spinach. Just be careful to drain appropriately as it will get watered down a bit more so may want to bake a bit longer than the recommended pork version. Whip up a Bloody Mary or mimosas and enjoy!